There are many tools and utilities that provide ways to do test result reporting and analysis of those results. However, I have not found a good, generic way of doing some Trend Analysis of those results.
Why do I need to Trend Analysis of the test results?
Long(er) duration projects / enterprise products need to know the state of the quality of the product over time. One also may need to know various other metrics around the testing - like number of tests, pass %, failure %, etc. over time.
The reports I have seen are very good about analyzing the current test results. However, I have not really come across a good generic tool that can be used in most environments for the Test Trend Analysis over a period of time.
I am thinking about developing a tool which can address this space. I call this - the Test Trend Analyzer (TTA).
Here is what I think TTA should do:
- Work with reports generated by common unit-test frameworks (jUnit, nUnit, TestNG, TestUnit, style of reports)
- Provides Web Service interface to upload results to TTA
- Test Results uploaded will be stored in db
- Will work on Windows and Linux
- Creates default TTA dashboard
- Customizable TTA dashboard
- Dashboard will be accessible via the browser
My questions to you:
- Do you think this will help?
- What other features would you like to see in TTA?
- What other type of support would you like to have in TTA?