I spoke about "Build your own MAD-LAB - for Mobile Test Automation" at vodQA - The Saga Continues! at Vuclip in collaboration with ThoughtWorks on Sat, 29th July 2017.
Here are details of the talk:
Setting the stage - I am coordinating all Testing activities for VIU - an OTT (over-the-top entertainment) product available on Android, iOS and WAP platforms. This product delivers high quality, popular video content in various different languages for consumers in various different regions. One of the main items in my charter is to implement functional test automation for consumer / user functionalities, and to provide quick feedback to the team and stakeholders on the “true” state of the product on all supported platforms for VIU.
In this talk, using the above set context, I will be sharing the following:
- The automation strategy
- Chosen tech-stack
- How (and why) no cloud-based solution worked for me
- Implementation details - MAD-LAB - which arose from the learnings of the failed experiments - which resulted in setting up my own real-device in-house lab.
- The core implementation (code) of MAD-LAB (already open-sourced)
Takeaways for attendees
- Learning from my experiments (what worked, or didn’t)
- Approach to testing an OTT (entertainment domain) product
- How to build a Test Automation Framework using cucumber-jvm / Appium
- Implementation details to Manage Devices, Optimizing Test Execution via distribution, Appium server, Custom Reporting etc., enabling automatic test execution via CI on each new app build, and more.